Meeting minutes April 23, 2009
Meeting called to order at 6:30p.m. by President Scott Freudenthal
Pledge of Allegiance was said
Introductions – Names and Call Signs.
A Sign in Sheet was also placed at the Front Door..
- −SMS Text reminders are working
- −Email to New HAMS – A glitch was found in the last List generated. It contained Hams that just renewed their License or updated their Mailing. A new List is being prepared and should just contain the info from Brand New Hams to be contacted.
Anna Rae delivered the Treasury report.
- Expenses last month included the purchase of two Tone-Boards and the Department of the State Fee.
- The Equipment Insurance premium is due and will be mailed off this week. A updated Bill will be expected as the Tone-Boards will need to be added to the insured equipment. It is not expected to raise the premium due be a large amount. More detail to follow at next month meeting.
- Membership Fees are due and everyone that has not yet paid their 2009 Fee is encourage to do so as soon as possible.
- −Scott announced that B.A.R.S. Will be starting a “General” License class. Cary will be the main Instructor and a sign-up Sheet was passed around as searing will be limited to 20 Students.
- −Rich WA1GZY gave an update on his presentation on Alternative Energy, Wind Power. He said there are some changed expected for State Regulations, such as the need for a 5 ft buffer between the Neighbors property line and the hight of the Antenna. This is to ensure that if it falls it will remain on the Owners Property. Permission may be required from Neighbors if the height or the minimum buffer is exceeded. Rich will email the link to a Website with more information to Scott and Scott will forward the Link to the Membership. For more information on original presentation and any updates, please see Rich (WA1GZY)
- −Wyman reported that the Tone-Boards are basically installed but there are some small parts still needed and the installation should be completed very soon.
- −Rich added a Eggbeater Antenna and has been successful in reaching other countries via satellite contacts. He also has been able to work stations in Europe and South America from his 60 meter rig in his car.
- −Bill increased the height of his Antenna from 20 ft to 45 ft.
- −Scott built a 2m pre-amp, he is working on an eggbeater antenna and experimenting with a Micro controller. But his newest project is helping him to full-fill his dream of building a electric Motorcycle. He just received a old Motorcycle for his Birthday and has been working on it.
- −Ed is planing to donate a lot of his equipment to the Club and anyone that may be interested. He is Eyesight and health are declining. His Daughter is currently in Hospice so he asks for a little time before people start to call about the equipment. His Number is 246-1258, but please respect his wish and do not call for a few weeks.
- −Another benefactor has offered to donate various equipment to the Club but I am afraid I did not catch the Gentleman's Name. He will be getting in touch with Scott.
- −Cary is contemplating the purchase of a IC7000 or NTS480 and would like to get some input from Member that may own them.
- −Janusz is a new Member and works for Radio Holland out of South Africa, he is in need of some free equipment to get him started until his finances allow him to purchase his own.
- −Bill gave an update on the Health of the widow of a former BARS Member. She may need a pacemaker.
1. By Bob (WA8OFU)
- −eQSL – A nice and informative Presentation on eQSL including usage, how to access and demonstration on how it works. Go tohttp://eqsl.cc and the basic Membership is free (Silver), the Bronze Level will give you a little more access and capabilities for approx. $30.00 a year and the Gold Membership runs about $100+. It does require validation of you credentials and all information is kept on their Mainframe. No need to place anything on your computer besides the Link to the site. Which allows you to access your account from any computer with an Internet connection. Please visit the site for more information.
- −TCP/IP Networking Basics For The Home User
- −Opening of the Beaches Parade, Sunday April 26, 2009 – Bill Sanders has emailed directions and details to those already registered to staff locations but will accept more Volunteers. Please see him after the meeting or email him for meet-up locations and get your assignment. Please be at your station or meet-up location by 11 am as the streets will be closed to traffic by 12:30pm. The Parade will not start until approx. 2 pm and last for about an hour. Frequency to be used is 147.390.
- −Scott mentioned a Saturday/Sunday Event coming up. On Saturday a 100km and 100 mile Bicycle ride are planned starting in San Jose area and finishing up in St. Augustine. The Sunday Event will feature a 100km Bicycle ride from St Augustine back to San Jose and a 14 Mile Fun Ride. Volunteers are needed to staff about 4 to 5 Groups to accompany riders, support vehicles and more. Please see Scott for more information and signup.
- −Fine Arts Triathlon May/June and July - will not be held at Jax Beach but in St Johns County from Meckler’s Landing through Nocatee and up to Philips Highway. B.A.R.S has traditionally provided coverage for the Bicycle part of the race with support from St Johns County ARES. Bill believes that we still will be providing assistance as SJC ARES does not have the manpower to provide sufficient coverage. More details to follow after the Opening of the Beaches Parade.
- −Field Day – Scott needs to know how many people plan on utilizing the availability of the camping area so that he can get sufficient space reserved. It is planned to start the Antenna set-up on Friday evening and man the stations the full 24 hours of the Field Day. This years Field day will be a joined venture between B.A.R.S., DuvalARES and JrARES and promises to be a lot of fun and educational for young and old. Please remember to bring your Friends and family. More info to follow.